2013 Fall Hackathon Schedule
Saturday November 2
- 10:00 - 10:15 AM: Kickoff with Jeff Hawkins
- 10:15 - 10:30 AM: NuPIC Introduction (Matt / Scott)
- 10:30 - 11:00 AM: NuPIC Natural Language Processing Primer (Matt)
- 01:00 - 02:00 PM: CLA Deep Dive (Subutai)
- 02:30 - 03:30 PM: Working Session: NuPIC Documentation for ML/AI Researchers (Ian)
- 04:00 - 05:00 PM: Sensor-Motor Integration in the Neocortex (Jeff)
- 05:30 - 06:30 PM: TBA
- 08:00 - 09:00 PM: Technical Q/A Session (Matt)
CLA Deep Dive
Subutai Ahmad, Grok/Numenta VP of Engineering, will go into detail about some of the major components of the CLA, including the Spatial and Temporal Poolers. This talk will describe the theory behind these ideas (and others) as well as pointing out the locations within the NuPIC codebase where they are implemented. If you are interested in how the CLA within NuPIC works behind the curtains, this is the talk for you. For a good primer on this talk, see the video CLA Basics.
Working Session: NuPIC Documentation for ML/AI Researchers
Descriptions matter. We’ll be creating a document that describes NuPIC and CLA in terms that are familiar to academic Machine Learning and AI researchers. This document will become an entry point for academics into NuPIC. As we walk through CLA, participants will be asked to contribute how their field would describe each component, and suggest relevant citations for similar work. Components and performance characteristics of CLA which are particularly novel will be highlighted.
Sensor-Motor Integration in the Neocortex
Most of the changes on our senses are due, wholly or in part, to our own actions. Therefore, the neocortex learns a sensory-motor model of the world. In this talk I discuss some of what we know about how the neocortex generates behavior and how we might construct a simple sensory-motor system based on the Cortical Learning Algorithm. It is a good starting point for anyone wanting to add motor output to the CLA. I will assume basic understanding of the CLA.
Sunday November 3
- 10:00 - 11:00 AM: CEPT SDR Session (Francisco)
- 02:00 - 02:30 PM: Grok Product Demonstration (Jared Casner)
- 04:00 - 06:00 PM: Demonstrations
Cept SDR Session
Francisco will talk about the CEPT API, and take questions about how CEPT uses sparse distributed representations to encode words.
Grok Product Demonstration
Interested in seeing what we’ve already built on top of NuPIC? Jared Casner will give a demo of our product, Grok, which uses NuPIC anomaly detection for IT server monitoring solutions.